Thursday, April 23, 2015

kindergarten journals

we all finally got tired of the my little pony worksheets, so i had to come up with a new activity to get us through the final nine weeks.  seeing as how my first grader likes to journal and the kindergarteners will be first graders soon . . . yea, no brainer.  let's journal!

a quick looksee in my craft room at home and i was set.  i found several sets of duplicate patterned paper in my stash.  each book is made from two sheets of 6x12 patterned paper and two sheets of 4.25x11 copy paper (both are just standard sized paper cut in half) that is folded in half and then stitched or stapled down the spine according to my laziness factor.  i also found some old labels in my stash for the covers.

we start each session with a fry word sentence that i've typed up and printed out.  we read it together and then they glue it in their journals and illustrate it.

next up each gets a little set of four or five tiny fry word flash cards.  we read those together as well and then they each pick one to use in a sentence.

sometimes i help them with spelling and sometimes not.  invented spelling is expected at this age.  when i don't help with spelling, i go in behind them and write the correct spelling under their sentences (see pinky pie example above).

 and then, of course, they get a my little pony to color, cut, and paste.  they know what they like (sigh).

2 comments:

  1. This post made me want to laugh and cheer all at the same time

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a super experience and foundation you are giving them!

    ReplyDelete