Friday, February 13, 2015

cleaning nostalgia

i was doing the annual tidy/purge in g's room this week and got a bit nostalgic.  as i was dusting his bookshelf headboard, i couldn't help but wonder which set-abouts would make it into his teen years.  the black cat from his preschool days?  the dentistry training teeth his papi gave him recently?  surely the ceramic dinosaur he made in the third grade . . .

the wicker basket that held his first forays into fishing tackle?  the silver indian box that a student gifted me, but that he immediately claimed as his personal treasure chest.  definitely his pinewood derby cars . . .

fishing décor from his three year old room makeover?  the angry bird he painted last year?  honduran souvenirs?

legos?  so many legos.  the collection of shark necklaces?

which books?  i still wish i had the richard scarry i had in kindergarten, but i'm thankful that the poetry books the easter bunny brought me when i was three are still in my possession.  i guess that's what really got me.  thinking about random memories of my own childhood shelves as i tidied my son's . . .

do you think he'll remember that year his mother overwintered her geraniums in his room?  it does get the best light after all.

surely he is ever so grateful that i refused to let this honduran souvenir take up residence in his room.  i can't even imagine what made his father think an 11 year old boy would be okay with that . . .

1 comment:

  1. You've really made me giggle with that final photo! A really interesting post ... I think what's happened here is that most of my (now adult) children's things were stashed away by them in boxes and are still lurking here for them!

    ReplyDelete