Sunday, January 25, 2015

quality literature: between shades of gray

another recommendation from a librarian friend, this one at the high school.  i think reading books recommended by friends is a double bonus as you connect with a book and a friendship.  so, so good.

between shades of gray deals with a "forgotten" segment of world history that i knew nothing about,  the invasion of lithuania (and other countries in the baltics) during the stalin regime and subsequent deportation of the "undesirables" to work camps in siberia.  it is a beautifully written debut novel from author ruta sepetys.  this one is heavy, but worth it.  very impactful and thought-provoking.

genre: historical fiction
setting: upper middle class latvia/work camps in siberia, 1940's
reading level: adult, high school

1 comment:

  1. You're killing me here! I just can't keep up!!! I read 42 books in 2014 and have 131 on my reading list. Doing the math, if I don't add another book to my list, it will still take me 3 years to get through all of them! That's assuming I read 40 books a year when 36 is probably a better average! And let's not even mention my home library filled with books yet unread! Oh, too many books, too little time!

    ReplyDelete